Image Map

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Yesterday

Such a beautiful song and the lyrics can apply to anyone. 

This song was entirely composted by Paul McCartney. He woke up one night with the entire melody structure stuck oh his head. The melody came much quicker than the lyrics so he quickly wrote placeholder lyrics in order to get the melody down on paper. Because of doing this, Yesterday had the working title of Scrambled Eggs.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly, I'm not half to man I used to be,
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Why she had to go I don't know she wouldn't say.
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play.
Now I need a place to hide away.
Oh, I believe in yesterday.



My interpretation:

This song is about the breakup of a relationship. It touches on familiar themes of depression and a long for better times. The man in the song wants to live in the past because he cannot bear the loss of his lover.

This has always been one of my favorite Beatles songs. I think Paul McCartney sang it so beautifully and I tear up every time I hear it. You can here the pain in his voice as he is singing it (at least I can).

What is your favorite Beatles song? 

~Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment